Study at the Royal Conservatoire
Join our vibrant community of emerging and professional artists
If you decide to become a student at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, you’ll enjoy the nurturing and challenging environment you need to develop your talent to professional standards.
What makes us distinctive?
- Our 21 st century Conservatoire is rooted in the contemporary world yet perpetuates the best traditions of excellence.
- Our training methods are intensive and 100% vocational, incorporating a rigorous schedule of public performances.
- One to one tuition, ensemble classes and rehearsals are combined with contact with visiting international artists, alumni and a myriad of professional companies.
- We focus on each student’s unique potential, creativity and talents.
- We inculcate a spirit of creativity, innovation, enterprise and excellence.
- The links we have with the national and major performing companies are exceptional.
- The peformance opportunities we make available are extensive.
- Our facilities are amongst the best in Europe.
- We are located in the cultural capital of Scotland.
These factors are relevant at all levels of study, from juniors to PhD.
If you are are thinking about studying music, drama, dance, production or screen at undergraduate or postgraduate level then you will also enjoy:
Extensive opportunities for professional performance
The opportunities we provide to perform are exceptional. We stage around 500 performances by students and staff every year in our own venues and around 100 in professional venues externally. We issue around 40,000 tickets every year. Venues where our students have recently performed externally include: the Royal Albert Hall, London; City Halls, Theatre Royal, Fruitmarket, Oran Mor, Tron and the Arches, all in Glasgow; Festival Theatre and Traverse Theatre, Edinburgh; Shakespeare's Globe, London; York Theatre Royal. There have also been tours to China, USA and France.
Opportunities to work with Scotland's national companies
Our side-by-side, mentoring and joint projects with national and major performance arts companies are enviable. Companies we work with include: Scottish Opera; Scottish Ballet; Scottish Chamber Ensemble; National Theatre of Scotland; National Review of Live Art; Royal Scottish National Orchestra; BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra; Playwrights' Studio, Scotland.
Options to broaden your horizons by studying or working abroad
Working or studying abroad can provide an invaluable extra dimension to your learning. We encourage all our students to make the most of this and have a range of excellent partners and organisations available to choose from.
Learning from the best
Significantly, we employ a very high proportion of part-time teachers who are also active professionals: students benefit from a direct link to those professions. Many of our full-time staff are also distinguished practitioners in their own professional spheres.
Located in one of Europe's liveliest cities
Our physical location in Glasgow, Scotland is a tremendous, rich benefit to students. Not least
because we are physically surrounded by the national companies in opera, theatre and dance.
Students benefit from intimate working relationships with all these companies - and many more.
You will find more information about studying here in the Student Support Services Information .
If you have a disability and would like to know more about studying at the Royal Conservatoire you will find more information in our booklet, Information for Disabled Students and Applicants .