There are a number of ways you can get involved in equality and diversity at Scotland’s national conservatoire.
The key place where issues are discussed is the Equality and Diversity Forum – this group has staff and student members and aims to be representative of the institution’s diversity.If you would like to participate in the forum as a staff or student representative, contact RozCaplan, our dedicated Equality and Diversity Officer, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LGBT Support at the Conservatoire
We have an active staff LGBT network, headed up by Deputy Principal Maggie Kinloch. To find out more you can contact her on M.Kinloch@rcs.ac.uk .
We also have an active student LGBT network
- To provide a confidential and impartial, and understanding voice.
- Fight for the rights of LGBT students in Scotland.
- Inform students of changes regarding the LGBT community in Glasgow and nationwide.
- Organise opportunities to socialize with other students going through similar experiences.
- Help stand up for and interact with other liberation societies.
- Inform the wider community of challenges and discrimination LGBT students face.
- LGBT society has a confidential “Moodle” (intranet) that is open to all students, who identify with or support the LGBT community. This allows for information streaming, social support, and online instant communication.
- Regular social gatherings allowing students and staff to communicate and socialise in a relaxed atmosphere, with like-minded people, these include; LGBT fayres and information sessions (in collaboration with local organisations), social events within the Conservatoire and local community.
- Weekly one to one welfare sessions specifically for LGBT related issues, run by the LGBT president.
- Specialised advice literature and leaflets on LGBT lifestyle choices and resources available to all staff and students.
- Free confidential contraceptive service open to all students of all sexual orientations including advice for support and local resources.
- The LGBT President is also a member of the Students’ Union Welfare team, representing opinions and viewpoints of LGBT community at all Students’ Union council meetings.
- Alongside the Students’ Union President and Welfare team, the LGBT President sits on the Equality and Diversity forum.
- The LGBT society and Royal Conservatoire Students’ Union regularly engage with the National Union of Students both in Scotland and on a UK level. This provides crucial training and support networks to ensure up to date information and developments are available to our students.
- Building good relationships with local LGBT societies and are developing closer communication among conservatoires throughout the UK, with specific link up between LGBT resources.
For information, please email LGBT@rcs.ac.uk.