The following information is provided for both inbound and outbound students. Please refer to the relevant sections and contact the International and Student Experience team (international@rcs.ac.uk) if you require any further information.

Why study on exchange at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland in Glasgow?

Our exchange programmes provide the opportunity to study at a top-rated conservatoire and live in inspiring surroundings in a beautiful and historic city.

We offer all exchange students the opportunity to participate in a wide range of musical, drama, production, dance and screen-based activities.  Agreed programmes of study can also count towards part of your degree programme in your home institution where credits can be transferred back into US credits or the European Credit Transfer system (ECTS).

How long can I study for?

Inbound students propose the length of study for the exchange on the application form and Learning Agreement. However, the minimum duration of study is for one term (September to January or February to June) and the maximum is a full academic year in one single stretch.  For inbound students from the USA, Canada or Hong Kong it may be possible to study at the Conservatoire from September to December only.  For outgoing students, the length of the exchange will either be for one term (or semester as it will often be referred to in Europe and the USA) only.

What can I study?

Outgoing students

The Learning Agreement form outlines your module choices and its content must be agreed upon before departure. You, your host institution coordinator and your programme leader/programme coordinator at the Conservatoire should all agree to your proposed study plan.  Any changes made on arrival at your host institution should be exceptional.

A normal full undergraduate course load at the Royal Conservatoire is 120 SCQF credits per year, which equates to approximately 60 ECTS credits.  The only exception to this is for students on BMus (Hons) Joint Principal Study whose course load equates to 140 credits (70 ECTS) per year.

Incoming students

You should outline your module choices as fully as possible on your Learning Agreement.  All your modules choices must be agreed by your home institution and by your programme leader/programme coordinator at the Royal Conservatoire.  Official module enrolment takes place at the start of the academic year upon arrival at the Royal Conservatoire.

Our academic programmes run for the full academic year (September – June).  Students attend the same classes and take the same examinations as the Royal Conservatoire students studying towards their degree. All exchange students are expected to have a good level of English in order to follow modules and complete assessments. Students applying to the Conservatoire for BMus and MMus should have a minimum level of CEFR B2.  Students applying for all other programmes of study should have a minimum level of CEFR C1.


How much does it cost to come to Glasgow?

  • Tuition fees

Erasmus and International Exchange students do not pay any tuition fees to the institution they are visiting, as they continue to pay tuition fees to and are registered at their home institution.  Study Abroad students pay for their tuition at the Royal Conservatoire via The College of Global Studies at Arcadia University.

  • Living costs

In Glasgow, the cost of living for a student is between £8500 and £10000 per annum.  If you are an Arcadia Study Abroad student your accommodation will be organised for you by Arcadia.  Erasmus and International Exchange students who are in Glasgow for a full academic year can apply to stay in Base Glasgow.  Information on our new student halls of residence, Base Glasgow, will be available shortly. Applications should be made via the Conservatoire’s application form which is sent out to all students with offers of a place.  Those students who are visiting for less than a year will need to find alternative accommodation.


I have missed the application deadline – can I still apply?

If you miss this deadline to apply for an exchange at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland then you cannot apply late.  Please note that we only accept applications from students at our Erasmus+ or International Exchange partner institutions.


What is it like being an exchange student in Glasgow?

Through our exchange programmes, you will gain a new perspective of your subject by experiencing how it is taught in a different country.  The following are all comments from previous Erasmus and International Exchange students at the Conservatoire.

“Everybody was very helpful and friendly. I didn’t have any problem at all integrating with local students.  The support services were really effective. I always had the help for everything I needed.” Erasmus student in 2011/12

“I have enjoyed my stay a lot and feel I have gained new insights on my line of study and work in the future. This kind of opportunity doesn’t come along many times and I am very pleased with my choice. I have a third language to work in now and that has enhanced my possibilities of work in the future.” Erasmus student in 2011/12

Can I participate in Erasmus+ if I have a disability?

Erasmus+ pays particular attention to guidance, reception, physical accessibility, pedagogical and technical support services, and, especially, financing the extra costs for students and staff whose physical, mental or health-related conditions are such that their participation in Erasmus+ would not be possible without extra financial support.  This is to ensure that you can take full advantage of an Erasmus+ mobility experience.

The Conservatoire, by signing the Erasmus Charter for Higher Education (ECHE), commits to ensuring equal access and opportunities to participants from all backgrounds. Therefore, students and staff with physical, mental or health-related conditions can benefit from the support services that the receiving institution offers to its local students and staff.

Additional grant

For your access needs during your mobility, you can apply for an Erasmus+ grant for students with physical, mental or health-related conditions in addition to the regular Erasmus+ study grant. In preparation of your Erasmus+ mobility, you should indicate your needs and foreseen extra costs linked to your physical, mental or health-related conditions, in order to apply for the Erasmus+ special needs support grant.

What are your access needs?

Areas that could be eligible for support linked to your Erasmus+ mobility, according to individual needs, include but are not limited to: adapted accommodation, travel assistance, medical attendance, supportive equipment, the adaption of learning material, an accompanying person, etc.

How to apply?

From 2018 onwards the Conservatoire intends to use the Association of European Conservatoire’s Online Application System (EASY) for inbound and outbound applications.  For further assistance please email international@rcs.ac.uk


Top-Level Menu:
Undergraduate programmes
Postgraduate programmes
Doctoral Degrees
Children and young people
Fair Access
Staff A-Z
Courses A-Z
Why RCS?