Digital Hub



Undergraduate Study

If you are normally resident in England, you will be eligible for the same funding package that you would benefit from if you attended an English institution. You can apply for a loan to cover up to the full tuition fee cost of your course from the Student Loans Company.


You can make an application for funding online through Student Finance England. You can apply online up to nine months before the start of the Royal Conservatoire’s academic year. You don’t need to have applied for a course or received an offer in order to begin applying for funding – it’s best to apply early to avoid any disappointment.

Have a look at Student Finance England’s Quick Start Guide for advice on how to apply for funding for academic year 2017/18 Student Finance England UG Funding Guide 17/18

The guide for 2018/19 will be available soon!

Student Finance England – How you are assessed and Paid

Student Finance England – terms and conditions



From 6th April 2018:

Your salary before taxes Approximate monthly repayment
£27,000 £15.00
£30,000 £37.00
£33,000 £60.00
£35,000 £75.00

Means-tested support

Students wishing to receive means-tested support from Student Finance England can apply online for a Maintenance Loan, Maintenance Grant, or Special Support Grant. In order to qualify for a Maintenance Grant, your household income must be below £42,611 per annum. Special Support Grants exist in certain circumstances to help cover course-related costs such as books, equipment or travel. For more information on the different means-tested grants and loans, and to check your eligibility, please contact Student Finance England directly.


Support from the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland

In addition to any support you may receive from Student Finance England, the Royal Conservatoire has introduced additional scholarships for new English students to partly offset the introduction of a higher level of tuition fee. We will use the residual household income figure as calculated by the Student Loans Company (SLC) when assessing scholarship entitlement. Depending on your residual household income you will be guaranteed to receive the following level of scholarship for each year of your degree programme if you are successful in taking up your offer of admission to the Royal Conservatoire. You will be able to use your scholarship to either contribute towards your tuition fee or towards your general living costs and it will be paid to you in three instalments.


Residual Household Income Royal Conservatoire English Scholarship
Up to £25,000 £3,000
£25,001 to £30,000 £2,500
£30,001 to £35,000 £2,000

Postgraduate Study

Postgraduate students from England will be able to benefit from a postgraduate loan of up to £10,609 to be used towards tuition fees and/or living costs.

Postgraduate Doctoral Loan

If you’re starting a doctoral degree on or after 1 August 2018, you could get a Postgraduate Doctoral Loan of up to £25,000 to help with course fees and living costs.

It isn’t based on your income or your family’s and it’s paid directly to you. You’ll be able to apply from summer 2018.

Other sources of postgraduate funding

The organisations featured below are just a small selection of those that might be able to provide you with some financial assistance.

The Leathersellers’ Company

An Applicant must be a British Passport holder, have an unconditional offer or already be enrolled on a full-time degree course in the UK at the time of application. Priority will be given to exceptional students from the Greater London area. For more information please go to

South Square Trust

Applicants for music and drama courses can apply between 1st January and 30th April each year via

Solti Foundation

Postgraduate musicians can apply to this fund for financial assistance towards specific projects. The foundation can award small grants towards costs for masterclasses, auditions, and entrance fees for competitions, for example. For more information go to

The Sir Richard Stapley Educational Trust

The trust supports postgraduate students in all fields of study. In order to be eligible to apply for a grant, you must be over the age of 24 on 1 October of the proposed year of study and already resident in the UK at the time of application, and resident in the UK during the course of study. If you are applying for a place on a postgraduate degree course, you must hold a first- or second-class honours degree from a UK institution (or its equivalent from a non-UK institution) or hold a Masters degree from a UK institution. Further information can be found via

The Tom Acton Memorial Trust

The Trust requires all candidates to have been born and educated (or received most of their education in Essex.) Bursaries are aimed at providing assistance to musicians and singers under the age of 25 with such things as course fees, instrument purchase, tuition, travel expenses, etc. Applications must be received by 31st May each year.

The Sue and Freddy Walding Bursary

The British Horn Society administers this fund, which was set up to help promising young UK horn players under the age of 18, who are unable fully to develop their horn playing because of acute financial constraints. The closing date each year is 30 April. Full details can be obtained via the BHS website.

Royal Masonic Trust for Girls and Boys: ‘Talent Aid’

TalentAid helps to support children and young people who are exceptionally gifted in music, sport or the performing arts. Applicants must have a parent or grandparent who is a Freemason. For further information go to

British Federation of Women Graduates

This foundation aims to help women graduates (UK and overseas) who are studying in the UK by offering grants to help with living costs. They offer a small number of awards including emergency grants. These are one off payments intended to help cover an unexpected financial crisis affecting the completion of an academic year’s work. Applicants must show that they had made realistic provision for their year’s study but now face an unforeseeable financial crisis. No grant is likely to exceed £1000. Further information is available at

Helena Kennedy Foundation

The Helena Kennedy Foundation offers a bursary scheme available to students currently studying at a FE college or sixth form college and applying to enter university from September 2014. If you are already on or have undertaken a higher education course you are not eligible to apply. If you are not at a FE college or sixth form college you will not be eligible to apply. The maximum bursary available is £1500. Applications open in January 2014 for September 2014 entry. Website:

Royal Artillery Charitable Fund

Assistance for dependants of members of the Royal Regiment of Artillery who are unable to work due to illness or death. Grants are made that support the children of its members who have started private education before the family’s breadwinner became unable to earn and therefore unable to help them continue their education. The Charity also supports specialist clothing and fees for mature students. Applications in writing to SSAFA Forces. Artillery House, Royal Artillery Barracks, Larkhill, Salisbury, SP4 8QT

The Chizel Educational Trust

People under the age of 25 who are living in the UK are eligible. Grants are given towards equipment / instruments, books, travel, bursaries and maintenance costs. Application in writing to the Trustees. Haydn House, 309 – 329 Haydn Road, Nottingham, NG5 1HG

The Essex Young Musicians Trust (EYMT)

The Essex Young Musicians Trust now provides postgraduate bursaries for young people from Essex who qualify for financial help towards the cost of their tuition fees. If you are from Essex and you need help with tuition fee costs you should email or call the grants team on 01245 356018