Digital Hub

Tier 4 (General) student visa

Tier 4 (General) Student Visa

If you are studying a course that is longer than six months in duration and are not a national of an European Economic Area (EEA) Country** or a Swiss national, you will need to gain entry clearance to study in the UK and you must obtain the Tier 4 (General) student visa before you travel. For more information about the Tier 4 (General) student visa and how to apply for it please read the Conservatoire’s Studying in the UK – Tier 4 guidance document in full.

Nationals of a European Economic Area (EEA) country** or a Swiss national do not require a visa to enter the UK.

** The EEA comprises member countries of the European Union plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway. The list of countries is available here.

If you are unsure if you require a visa please see the UKVI website here.

Further queries

If you have any questions after reading the guide or if there is anything you do not understand please contact the International and Student Experience team (Sarah Ward and Marion McLaren) via

British Council Pre-Departure Briefings

The British Council runs several pre-departure briefings around the world. These sessions will help those applicants with offers of a place at the Conservatoire prepare themselves to become an international student in the UK. Interactive sessions with UK alumni, presentations by UK Visas and Immigration and talks on student life in the UK make up just some of the activities on offer. This is an opportunity for students to learn and share experiences of life in the UK, gather information about visas and immigration and network with like-minded students who have enrolled to study in the UK. Further information can be found at