Support at RCS
We’ll give you the practical, emotional and learning support you need when you first arrive and throughout your time at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland.
As well as the support services available to you, you’ll find our community is very friendly and welcoming. RCS is a special place and one where, we are sure, you will flourish – and feel supported so that you can rise to the many challenges and intensive demands of your programme. Naturally, we operate an equal opportunities policy. We celebrate our differences and believe that our diversity is an important contribution to creativity.
The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland welcomes a diverse population of staff and students. We are committed to promoting equality in all of our activities and we aim to provide a performing, learning, teaching, working, and research environment free from unlawful discrimination against applicants, staff, and students on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion and belief, sex and sexual orientation.
Support services available to you
Our Counsellor and Disability Adviser is Jane Balmforth, firstname.lastname@example.org . Jane is available to assist you with any queries you might have that relate to:
- support for disabled students and applicants
- effective learning service
Our Assistant Registrar (International and Student Experience) is Sarah Ward, email@example.com. Sarah is able to assist you with any queries you might have that relate to:
- welfare and financial information
You can find more information about studying at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland in the Student Support Service Booklet for 2017/18
Care Experienced Students
The Conservatoire is committed to ensuring that those from all backgrounds feel able to apply to study with us. Applicants who have been looked after at home, in residential care, foster care or kinship care can access support via the International and Student Experience team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Examples of support available are:
- Assistance with your application to the Conservatoire.
- Consideration for inclusion in our contextualised admission process.
- Priority consideration for financial assistance from our HE Discretionary Fund if your student funding package is not sufficient to support you while you study. Scottish Students in the care of a local authority and under the age of 26 at the start of their course (in 17/18) will be entitled to a total funding package of up to £7,625 per annum. This will be in the form of a non-repayable bursary in lieu of a student loan. Scottish students previously in care can also receive a grant of up to £105 a week to help with accommodation costs in the long (summer) vacation.
- Advice on external financial support
- Other support including counselling, disability services, help with employment opportunities and academic support.
If you’re a student with caring responsibilities the Conservatoire would encourage you to get in touch with the International and Student Experience team to discuss how we can support you once you start your studies. We know that students with caring responsibilities may need extra financial support because they have higher than expected costs or they have a sudden financial emergency. They may also need pastoral and/or academic support. For further information please contact email@example.com
Freshers’ Friend Scheme 2017/18
Each year the Conservatoire offers successful applicants the opportunity to be matched with a current Conservatoire student who will act as their ‘buddy’ or ‘Freshers’ Friend’. This is particularly useful to those successful applicants who will be new to Glasgow and/or Scotland upon commencing their studies. If you have accepted an offer of a place to study for a degree at the Conservatoire and you feel you could benefit from having a Freshers’ Friend you’ll get the opportunity to apply via an online form from June 2017 onwards.
Information for assessors
Please see Royal Conservatoire of Scotland NMH rates for further information.