LGBT support at RCS
- To provide a confidential, impartial, and understanding voice.
- Fight for the rights of LGBT students in Scotland.
- Inform students of changes regarding the LGBT community in Glasgow and nationwide.
- Organise opportunities to socialise with other students going through similar experiences.
- Help to stand up for and interact with other liberation societies.
- Inform the wider community of challenges and discrimination LGBT students face.
- LGBT society has a confidential “Moodle” (intranet) that is open to all students, who identify with or support the LGBT community. This allows for information streaming, social support, and online instant communication.
- Regular social gatherings allowing students and staff to communicate and socialise in a relaxed atmosphere, with like-minded people, these include: LGBT fayres and information sessions (in collaboration with local organisations), social events within RCS and local community.
- One to one welfare sessions specifically for LGBT related issues, run by the LGBT president. Specialised advice literature and leaflets on LGBT lifestyle choices and resources available to all staff and students.
- Free confidential contraceptive service open to all students of all sexual orientations including advice for support and local resources.
- The LGBT President is also a member of the Students’ Union Welfare team, representing opinions and viewpoints of LGBT community at all Students’ Union council meetings.
- Alongside the Students’ Union President and Welfare team, the LGBT President sits on the Equality and Diversity forum.
- The LGBT society and Royal Conservatoire Students’ Union regularly engage with the National Union of Students both in Scotland and on a UK level. This provides crucial training and support networks to ensure up-to-date information and developments are available to our students.
- Building good relationships with local LGBT societies and are developing closer communication among conservatoires throughout the UK, with specific link up between LGBT resources.