Council Tax is a tax levied on households by local authorities in the UK, based on the estimated value of a property and the number of people living in it.

Students are not required to pay council tax if they are enrolled on a full-time course of 21 hours or more per week for a minimum of 24 weeks per year but they must apply for a student
exemption. Students living within the Glasgow City Council area need to complete an online Council Tax Student Exemption form. This can only be done after matriculation and after the start of Term 1 on 26th September 2022.

After matriculation, the Conservatoire will confirm student status electronically to Glasgow City Council, unless a student has opted out of the data-sharing agreement at matriculation. In such a case the student will need to make their own arrangements. Students living in PBSAs in Glasgow (also referred to as independent student halls of residences) do not need to complete the online form as they will automatically receive Council Tax Exemption.


  • Full-time students are only exempt from council tax from the date their course starts until the date their course ends; not their graduation date
  • Students living outside of Glasgow should find the Council Tax Student Exemption form on their local council website. After completing Section 1, students should take the form to the Student Records team located in the Academic Administration and Support office (ground floor of the Renfrew St building)
  • If you are a student from elsewhere in the EU, you may still be regarded as a student for Council Tax purposes. Remember, you must fulfill the same criteria as UK students for Council Tax. This means that you must be registered and attending a designated educational establishment and undertaking a course that leads to the award of a relevant qualification by that establishment
  • Any non-student spouses or adult dependants who live with you may remain liable to pay Council Tax
  • Students on short-term Erasmus+ or International Exchange study should follow the instructions as listed above. If you are not living in a Purpose Built Student Accommodation (PBSA) you will also need to submit a letter from your home institution confirming the details of your home programme (e.g. programme title, duration etc.) and that you are currently on an exchange at the Conservatoire
  • If a student is living with someone who is not a student then the student will still be exempt from Council Tax but the non-student will have to pay. A discount may be awarded but this is based on the full household circumstances and is subject to review from the council concerned. Please speak to a member of the Council Tax team at your local council.

Further information about Council Tax for students in the Glasgow City Council area can be found on the Glasgow Council website.