Apply for Research
Applicants for Research should apply through UCAS Conservatoires.
Research themes which we support at doctoral level include:
- the processes and methodologies of developing new performance work (music/drama/music theatre), including collaborative and devised performance
- musical composition, in all genres, for live, electro-acoustic and mixed media
- Scottish music
- methodologies of specialist performance training, including the use of IT
- socio-cultural studies of performance
- performance education and pedagogy
Scottish Graduate School of Arts and Humanities (SGSAH) AHRC Doctoral Training Partnership
Outstanding applicants applying for PhD study at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland may be eligible to be nominated for Arts & Humanities Research Council (AHRC) funding through the Scottish Graduate School of Arts and Humanities (SGSAH) Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP). Applicants interested in pursuing this opportunity must ensure that their application for PhD study at the RCS is received by 30th November 2018. Following an internal review process, interviews for shortlisted candidates for the competition will take place on 7th and 14th January 2019. Applicants should send a completed research proposal (template below) to email@example.com and apply for the programme of study through UCAS.
All potential applicants are advised to discuss their proposals informally with RKE staff and potential supervisors well in advance of applying. In the first instance, please get in touch with Research Lecturer and Doctoral Degrees Coordinator, Dr Bethany Whiteside.
The following documents which are relevant to your study can be downloaded for reference:
- 30 November 2018 for applicants interested in being nominated to the SGSAH (AHRC) DTP
- 25 January 2019 for all other applicants
Interviews (and auditions where appropriate) will be held throughout the year and applicants who meet the entry requirements and whose research proposal is in accord with RCS research areas will normally be interviewed. The interview panel will be chaired by the Head of Research and online interviews may be held if you cannot make it to Glasgow to interview in person.
New applicants should download the Guide for Applicants, as this will help you to fill out your application on the UCAS Conservatoires website.
For enquiries for Research study, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.