All eligible* full-time undergraduate students will have their tuition fees paid by the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS)

You are considered an eligible* student if:

  • You are studying full-time
  • You are applying at degree level for the first time
  • You are ordinarily resident in Scotland

*Please note there may be other factors which could influence your eligibility other than the three listed above. For further information please contact SAAS directly.

As a prospective student of RCS, you are responsible for applying to SAAS, and as such must heed any deadline they set, or risk not receiving any tuition support. You are advised to apply as soon as possible and not wait for an unconditional offer. You should apply to SAAS for payment of tuition fees on an annual basis even if you are not applying for any other means of support.

SAAS Undergraduate Funding Guide for 18/19

If you’re not eligible for SAAS funding you might wish to consider an application to the Carnegie Trust.  The Trust runs an Undergraduate Tuition Fee Grants Scheme which aims to support students who do not receive government funding towards the costs of their tuition fees following withdrawal from a previous course of study, academic repeats or because of their residence status.

The scheme supports the cost of tuition fees. To apply, you must be:

  • Studying towards a first undergraduate degree; (The majority of the students we support will have attended university or college in the past but did not complete their course.) In exceptional circumstances, applications from students who already have a university degree level qualification may be considered at the discretion of the Trust. If you have graduated before, please contact the Trust to check your eligibility.
  • On a full-time, part-time or distance learning undergraduate degree course offered by the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland.

UG Tuition Fee grants cover the cost of tuition fees up to a maximum of £1,820 (the Scottish “Home” tuition fee rate). Depending on applicants’ financial circumstances, students are awarded either the full “home” rate, or any part thereof that the Trust deems appropriate.
No support is available towards maintenance costs (such as rent, living expenses, travel etc.).
The fee grant is paid directly by the Trust to the university attended by the student. Successful applicants will be sent an award letter which they must present to their university. The university will then invoice the Trust for the tuition fees.

More information on the Trust and the Undergraduate Tuition Fee Grants Scheme can be found at: https://www.carnegie-trust.org/schemes/undergraduate-schemes/fee-assistance.html#background

Student loans

Whether you qualify for a student loan depends on:

  • your university or college
  • your course
  • if you’ve studied a higher education course before
  • your age
  • your nationality or residency status

Generally all UK Royal Conservatoire students who are under the age of 60 at the start of their course and meet the residence requirements are eligible to apply for a student loan for maintenance.    Applications for a loan from Scottish students should be made through SAAS. Further information regarding student loans is available from SAAS and the Student Loans Company website. EU students are not eligible to apply for a UK student loan.

Postgraduate courses

One year Masters students can apply for a tuition fee loan up to £5,500 and a non-income assessed living loan up to £4,500.

Two year Masters students can apply for a tuition fee loan up to £2,750 per year and a non-income assessed living cost loan up to £2,250 per year.

Students following a part-time Masters programme can apply for a pro-rata tuition fee loan. The living cost loan is not available to part-time students.

For more information visit the SAAS website


Other sources of funding

The organisations featured below are just a small selection of those that might be able to provide you with some financial assistance or information on alternative sources of funding.

The SAAS Register of Educational Endowments (Scottish Students)

SAAS will search the register on your behalf if you fill in and send them the enquiry form REE1. After they have searched the register for you, they will send you the names and addresses of any trusts to which you may be able to apply for help. You should then apply straight to the trusts.

Dewar Arts Awards (Scottish and EU Students)

The Dewar Awards fund exceptional young artists in any discipline who do not have the financial means to achieve their full potential.  To be eligible you must be:

  • Under the age of 30
  • Live or work in Scotland
  • Demonstrate outstanding talent in any art form
  • Without the financial means to achieve their full potential

For further information go to http://www.dewarawards.org/home

Glasgow Educational and Marshall Trust (Scottish Students)

Grants can be one-off or recurrent and are normally given for courses where no grant assistance is available from the Students Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS), or where such grants do not cover the total costs. No awards are given for courses run by privately owned institutions. It is an absolute requirement that awards can only be made to persons who have lived in the City of Glasgow for a minimum of five years. Awards are made under various categories e.g. mature students, post graduate students, travel and school excursions.

Awards are given towards the cost of the following: books, course fees/living expenses, study/travel abroad for people in further/higher education; and course fees, travel, books, equipment/instruments.


The Scottish International Education Trust (Scottish Students)

The Trust welcomes individual applications especially from Scots men and women (Scots by birth or Scots by upbringing) who have already shown ability and promise and wish to take their studies or training a stage further in order to launch themselves on a career. The Trust is looking for exceptional people, who will in one way or another bring credit to Scotland as their careers develop. https://scotinted.org.uk/apply/

Glasgow Highland Society (Scottish Students)

The Directors of the Society invite applications from individuals of Highland descent, or associations of such individuals, for financial assistance towards educational or training. Applicants must have been brought up in the Highlands, and must be entering into (or continuing) a course of study in the Glasgow area (defined as a G postcode). Funds are limited and awards are made at the discretion of the Directors. The standard grant is normally around £75, but this level depends on the volume of applications. The deadline is usually in November of each academic year. For more information please see www.alexandersloan.co.uk/ghs

The Cross Trust (Scottish Students)

For young Scots in financial need www.thecrosstrust.org.uk/

John Watson’s Trust (Scottish Students)

For young students who have a physical or learning disability and who are experiencing financial hardship. Applicants should ideally have a connection to the Edinburgh or Lothian areas. http://wssociety.co.uk/index.asp?pg=148

Highland Children’s Trust (Scottish Students)

Students who are under 25 from the Highland Council area of Scotland, studying for a first degree and finding it hard to manage financially at University or College.  Various awards available between £200 to £500.  http://www.hctrust.co.uk/Welcome.html


South Square Trust (Scottish and EU)

Applicants for music and drama courses can apply between 1st January and 30th April each year.  Applicants can be on any programme of study except BA DFTV or PhD.  Preference is given to those in the final year of their programme or doing postgraduate study.

Ruby and Will George Trust (Scottish Students)

Applicants must have a connection to commerce. https://rwgt.co.uk/

The Sir Richard Stapley Educational Trust (Scottish Students)

The trust supports postgraduate students in all fields of study. In order to be eligible to apply for a grant, you must be over the age of 24 on 1 October of the proposed year of study and already resident in the UK at the time of application, and resident in the UK during the course of study. If you are applying for a place on a postgraduate degree course, you must hold a first- or second-class honours degree from a UK institution (or its equivalent from a non-UK institution) or hold a Masters degree from a UK institution. Further information can be found via http://www.stapleytrust.org/wp/applications/

The Sidney Perry Foundation (Scottish and EU Students)

Grants are primarily given to first degree students, including overseas students, who are studying in the UK. Applicants must be aged under 35 when the course starts, save in exceptional circumstances. Grants are intended to be supplementary, maximum payment being £1000 (allocated only in exceptional cases). The majority of funding required should have been obtained from other sources; shortfalls of more than £3000 will not be considered. https://www.the-sidney-perry-foundation.co.uk/

British Federation of Women Graduates (Scottish and EU – postgraduate females only)

This foundation aims to help women graduates (UK and overseas) who are studying in the UK by offering grants to help with living costs. They offer a small number of awards including emergency grants. These are one off payments intended to help cover an unexpected financial crisis affecting the completion of an academic year’s work. Applicants must show that they had made realistic provision for their year’s study but now face an unforeseeable financial crisis. No grant is likely to exceed £1000. Further information is available at www.ffwg.org.uk

The Trades House of Glasgow Education Fund (formerly The Fraser of Allander Fund)

This fund is available to students who are  living and studying in the City of Glasgow and the surrounding areas who lack the necessary funds to complete their studies