We welcome applications from people with disabilities. There are many disabled students who have successfully completed courses at the Royal Conservatoire and many who are studying here now, including students with dyslexia, visual and hearing impairments, epilepsy, asthma and ME.

Come and visit

If you are wondering whether or not to apply to the Royal Conservatoire, why not come for a preliminary visit? We encourage all applicants to come and look round and talk to staff and students in order to see if you feel it is the right place for you. You may also want to check that we have sufficient facilities in place to study here, or discuss your needs so that we can offer you maximum support. Just contact Jane Balmforth on +44 (0) 141 2708 282 or e-mail j.balmforth@rcs.ac.uk to arrange a visit, or request a copy of our booklet, Information for Students with Disabilities, which describes our provision and facilities for disabled students.

Is support available for my audition or interview?

Yes, if there are adjustments that would be helpful for you at audition or interview, or there are things that you would like the panel to be aware of e.g. more time to process questions and prepare answers, please contact Dr Jane Balmforth on j.balmforth@rcs.ac.uk

What happens when I start my studies at the Royal Conservatoire?

When you start your studies at the Royal Conservatoireour Counsellor & Disability Adviser will contact you in the first term and arrange a meeting with your Head of Department/Programme Leader to discuss how we can best support you. A Learning Agreement stating the support you will receive will then be drawn up and signed. If you are dyslexic, you will need an up-to-date assessment don’t worry if you don’t have one as we can arrange for an assessment here at the Conservatoire. If you have a medical condition you will need a letter from your GP.

I think I’m dyslexic but not sure

If you have always wondered if you might be dyslexic, but have never been assessed, we can arrange for you to have an assessment with an Educational Psychologist. Jane Balmforth,j.balmforth@rcs.ac.uk, our Counsellor &Disability Adviser will be able to arrange this for you. Jane can also assist with completing applications to your funding body (e.g. SAAS, Student Finance England, Wales or NI) for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA).

What about accessibility?

The Royal Conservatoire has level access on the ground floor and a lift suitable for a wheelchair serves all floors. The lecture theatres and auditoria have induction loops and vibrating pager fire alarms are available. The software packages Texthelp Read & Write and Inspiration have been installed in the Student IT Suite. For more details on facilities, ask Jane Balmforth for a copy of the booklet Information for Students with Disabilities, or click on the link at the top of this page.

More information about studying at Royal Conservatoire of Scotland is contained in the Student Support Services Information booklet.