This Modern Ballet programme is delivered through the Junior Conservatoire of Dance, has been specially designed for young dancers who aspire to study dance full-time and progress to a career as a professional dancer. The BA Modern Ballet programme is designed in partnership with Scottish Ballet and both the BA and Junior courses have strong links with the Scottish Ballet Associate programme.
This is an intensive training programme which is taught over two nights per week, Tuesdays and Thursdays, at Wallace Studios, Speirs Locks in Glasgow. We expect students to be committed to their learning and development and to demonstrate a passion for, and love of, dance.
We are also able to offer Modern Ballet classes on Monday and Thursday evenings at Dalkeith Palace, Midlothian.
Students will benefit from learning within a Conservatoire environment and have the opportunity to take part in Bridge Week, an interdisciplinary celebration where students from across the Junior Conservatoire come together to devise and perform new work within one of the Royal Conservatoire’s professional venues.
By studying on this Juniors Modern Ballet programme, you will:
- focus on your classical technique and develop strength in pointe work and virtuosity
- take part in performing opportunities including the end of year Dance Showcase and Bridge Week
- have the opportunity to work with students from other disciplines, including the Junior Conservatoire Music and Drama programmes
Entry to the programme is by audition only and we accept a small number of students each year into the programme to allow us to focus our teaching on each individual’s development.
The programme runs from August to June each year, and there are four levels of study available depending on your ability and experience. Many students join us at level 1 and progress through the levels to graduate from the Junior Conservatoire, having completed the full four years of study.
All students will be auditioned whether this is part of a round of scheduled auditions, an audition as part of a summer programme, or at the beginning of term.
Late applications will be at the discretion of RCS Junior Conservatoire on a case by case basis and will follow the same process of assessment.
Applicants will also have the opportunity to be part of the Young Ballet Company. The company has a performance and ensemble focus with students having the opportunity to explore repertoire and choreography to complement the weekly technique classes.
The Young Ballet Company meet every Sunday in the term from 10am – 3pm at Wallace Studios.
Apply for Glasgow, Wallace Studios Campus
- JC Modern Ballet Glasgow 2024/25 (S1 from August 2024)
- JC Modern Ballet Glasgow 2024/25 (S2 from August 2024)
- JC Modern Ballet Glasgow 2024/25 (S3 from August 2024)
- JC Modern Ballet Glasgow 2024/25 (S4+ from August 2024)
Apply for Edinburgh, Dalkeith Palace
- JC Modern Ballet Edinburgh 2024/25 (S1 from August 2024)
- JC Modern Ballet Edinburgh 2024/25 (S2 from August 2024)
- JC Modern Ballet Edinburgh 2024/25 (S3 from August 2024)
- JC Modern Ballet Edinburgh 2024/25 (S4+ from August 2024)
Applications for 2024/25 will open mid November 2023, the closing date is 6 May 2024.
Auditions will take place in Glasgow on Saturday 18 & Sunday 19 May 2024.
Join us for our Open Evening on Thursday 25 April. To note your interest in this event, click here.
As a dance student in the Junior Conservatoire, you will have a busy timetable of classes to attend weekly to ensure you develop your dance technique at the right pace.
Junior Conservatoire students can expect to:
- work within a specially-designed curriculum that focuses on ballet technique, body conditioning, musicality and performance.
- learn strengthening, stretching and conditioning exercises which you are expected to practise at home
- undertake pointe work and virtuosity
- have the opportunity to join the Young Ballet Company (an additional audition may be required)
Glasgow Level 1 and 2 – Wednesdays and Fridays 6.30pm – 8.30pm
Glasgow Level 3 and 4 – Tuesday and Thursdays 6.30pm – 8.30pm
Edinburgh Level 1 and 2 – Mondays 7pm – 9pm
Edinburgh Level 3 and 4 – Thursdays 7pm – 9pm
Students who choose to apply for the Young Ballet Company and also attend the Modern Ballet weekly classes are entitled to receive either a 25% or 50% loyalty discount on their Young Ballet Company fees. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more
The Junior Conservatoire Modern Ballet programme is for aspiring dancers who wish to to progress towards full-time, vocational study at higher education level.
- Learn within Scotland’s national conservatoire, recognised as one of the world’s top ten performing arts education institutions (2022 QS World Rankings)
- Train on specifically-designed courses for students working towards full-time vocational training in dance
- Use bespoke, purpose-built dance facilities at Wallace Studios, Speirs Locks
- Develop your performance skills alongside your technique
- Learn in small class sizes, ensuring you receive detailed one-to-one and group ensemble teaching
- Receive feedback and tutorials throughout the year
The Wallace Studios at Speirs Locks
Junior Conservatoire Modern Ballet students will train in the Wallace Studios, using the same facilities as the BA Modern Ballet degree students.
The Wallace Studios were purpose-built for our ballet students. There are four large dance studios, each with a piano and playback system, changing rooms and showers.
Edinburgh classes are held in The Restoration Yard at Dalkeith Palace, Midlothian.
Entry to the Junior Conservatoire of Dance is by audition only, and progression through the levels is not automatic — students will be assessed each year if they would like to continue with their studies.
Students are expected to be of secondary school age when the course begins. As a guide, we look for the following level of ballet experience for each level and age range:
Level 1 S1 Intermediate Foundation (or equivalent)
Level 2 S2 Intermediate Foundation/Intermediate (or equivalent)
Level 3 S3 Intermediate (or equivalent)
Level 4 S4 Advanced Foundation/Advanced 1 (or equivalent)
We look for applicants to show passion for dance and a desire to develop and progress to study on a vocational dance course in the future. If you have any questions about the entry requirements, please get in touch with us at email@example.com
Our audition period will be as follows:
- Junior Conservatoire Modern Ballet auditions — May 2024.
We will contact you after the closing date with further details as to how to prepare for the audition and your timeslot. Please note we are unable to accommodate rescheduling requests should you be unavailable.
We want your audition to be an enjoyable experience and encourage you to take this opportunity to find out more about the Junior Conservatoire.
The audition process
Your audition will consist of:
- A group ballet class in front of a panel of RCS lecturers and specialist teachers.
The audition class
You will take part in a group ballet class with a panel of tutors observing. For the audition, we recommend you arrive 30 minutes in advance of the start time to ensure you have adequate time to warm up and wear dance practice clothing. Senior ballet students (from age 15/S3) should also bring pointe shoes.
We aim to inform all applicants of our decision within three weeks of the audition.
Above all, remember the panel wants to see your passion for dance. We look forward to meeting you.
We want to ensure everyone has an opportunity to apply for the Junior Conservatoire Modern Ballet programme and everyone who applies on time will receive an audition.
When to apply
Application for entry to the Junior Conservatoire Modern Ballet programme in August 2024 will open in November 2023.
All applications should be completed online and there is an audition fee of £45. If you need financial support to pay for the audition fee please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
All auditions for the Junior Conservatoire Modern Ballet programme will be held on Saturday 18 & Sunday 19 May 2024.
If you have any questions about the Junior Conservatoire or the application process please don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
Term Dates 2023/2024
Student induction- 20th August 2023 – Renfrew Street Campus
Glasgow and Edinburgh
26th August- 15th December 2023 (Half term break 14th – 27th October)
6th January – 29th March 2024 (Half term break 10th – 16th February)
13th April- 14th June 2024
Potential performance opportunities – Bridge Week, Youth Arts Fest, Leavers ceremony
All Levels- one day per week (2 hours): £1245
All levels- two days per week (4 hours): £2375
All Levels- one day per week (2 hours): TBC
All levels- two days per week (4 hours): TBC