Skip to main content

Glasgow is a city of some 185,000 students so there’s a lot of accommodation available. Base Glasgow is where we suggest all new students live but if you would prefer to live elsewhere there are many other high-quality student residences in Glasgow, some within easy travelling distance of RCS.

On the page below you’ll find information about other private halls of residence that might be suitable, as well as tips for finding a room to rent in a flat or house. There is also information specific to international students, students with families, and anyone who may need to find temporary accommodation upon arrival in Glasgow.

If you have any further questions please feel free to get in contact with


Purpose Built Student Accommodation (PBSAs)

There are several privately-run, purpose-built student accommodation residences in the city centre. Base Glasgow is one of them, with the Conservatoire reserving a quota of rooms each year for its students. All new Conservatoire students are encouraged to rent a room in Base Glasgow but those students who do not want to might need to look elsewhere.

For an up-to-date list of other PBSAs please visit the University Living website.

Or alternatively try the Sturents website.

The residences listed above are owned by private companies and are not affiliated to any particular higher education institution. They are open to students from across the city, regardless of institution. The Conservatoire is not able to recommend any of them; it would be your free choice to decide whether you wanted to make a booking with one of them.

Base student accommodation from the corner of the street.

Things to consider when renting a room in a PBSA residence

  • The proximity to the Conservatoire
  • The length of contract
  • The cost of the full length of the contract, not just the weekly price
  • What happens if you were to withdraw from your course?
  • Would you still be liable to pay the rent until the end of the contract period?
  • What support is available? Is there an on-site staff member and/or security guard? Many PBSA residences have 24 hour CCTV and a secure entry door but will not have a member of staff on-site round the clock
  • You do not need to complete the online form for student council tax exemption, as students living in PBSAs will automatically receive Council Tax Exemption

Some of the above-mentioned PBSAs will allow students to pay in instalments but will require you to have a UK guarantor. This may be difficult for international students and unfortunately, the Conservatoire cannot act as guarantor in this instance. There are some companies, which, for a fee, will act as a UK guarantor for international students. One such company is Housing Hand but others such as Rent Guarantor  and UK Guarantor are available.

Renting a room in a flat or house

Glasgow has a large amount of accommodation suitable for students who do not wish to stay in a PBSA residence. The main ways to find a room are as follows:

  1. Use a local letting agent. There are many letting agents that rent out properties suitable for They can be found by using one of the many listings websites such as Yell.
  2. Use a website portal that features properties to rent from other sources:
  3. Use word of mouth via the RCS Freshers Facebook. This is a useful way to find a flatmate and some current RCS students advertise spare rooms this way.
  4. If you are willing and able to offer a specified number of weekly hours of help and support to an older person in exchange for a low-cost room in their house, you might want to explore the Share and Care Homeshare scheme.
A cherry tree blossoms on the corner of Alexandra Park in Glasgow.

Hints and tips on renting a room or flat

Before moving in:

  • You should only rent a property from an accredited landlord or letting agency. Accredited landlords have agreed to abide by a set of standards (or code) relating to the management and physical condition of their property
  • In Glasgow, all landlords letting properties must be registered with Glasgow City Council, unless they are just letting a room in their own home – check on the Landlord Registration Scotland website or call them on 0300 343 0414
  • Some people use websites to advertise properties which do not exist and take money illegally so please always make sure the landlord is registered
  • Ensure that you have read and understood the lease agreement before signing
  • There is usually a deposit to pay, which is normally one month’s rent. This is to cover any damages or unpaid bills at the end of the tenancy and will be returned in full at the end of the tenancy, as long as there are no damages or unpaid bills. Make sure you receive a receipt for any deposits paid. Your landlord or letting agent must transfer your deposit to a government-approved scheme, like SafeDeposits Scotland, to keep it safe. This is the law in Scotland.

When you move in:

  • You must take the gas and electricity meter readings immediately. Ensure that new accounts for gas, electricity, telephone etc. are set up in your name
  • Ensure that any damage is reported in writing and keep a copy of all letters
  • Make sure that you have proof of payment for all rent paid
  • Make sure you get contents insurance for your possessions. The landlord will be insured for the contents that come with the flat but this will not cover your possessions.
  • If you are a full-time student, you should complete the online Council Tax student exemption form. Visit What is Council Tax? for more details.

How to find a roommate

You might find a property that will require you to share with others. Finding another student to share with isn’t usually a problem for continuing students, but it can be an issue for those who are just starting their studies at the Conservatoire. Our Freshers page on Facebook is an excellent way to find someone to share a flat with in Glasgow. You will be sent an email with the link to the group.

If you’d prefer to share with someone from outside the Conservatoire there are a number of websites that can help you, such as Spare Room and RoomGo.

Accommodation for Families

If you’re bringing family with you while you study at the Conservatoire it would be advisable to rent a private flat using a local letting agency. The PBSAs in the city, including Base Glasgow, do not offer accommodation for families.

International Students

If you’re a student from outside the UK you should read the Looking for Housing section on the UKCISA website.

Please note the Conservatoire does not specifically recommend any particular properties or websites contained in this document. The information listed was correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change.

Temporary accommodation

If you cannot find accommodation in advance of your arrival in Glasgow you may need to secure short-term accommodation in the interim. You will be able to find hotels, hostels, and bed & breakfast accommodation in the city.

TheatreDigsBooker is the No.1 online accommodation resource for the UK’s theatre industry and works with more than 3,400+ Hosts across the UK to provide affordable, flexible, reliable and trustworthy accommodation for theatre professionals.  Young artists may also set up their own Guest account with Theatre Digs Booker by visiting their Become a Guest page and following any further instructions.

Further Information

  • If you’re a student from outside the UK, read the Looking for Housing section on the UKCISA website

Study Here