Covid-19: discover our latest updates

Support for disabled students and applicants at RCS

We welcome applications from people with disabilities. There are many disabled students who have successfully completed courses at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland and many who are studying here now, including students with dyslexia, dyspraxia, epilepsy, IBS, asthma, diabetes, ME and mental health issues such as depression.

Come and visit us

If you are wondering whether or not to apply to the Royal Conservatoire, why not come for a visit? We encourage all applicants to come and look round and talk to staff and students to see if you feel it is the right place for you. You may also want to check that we have sufficient facilities in place for you to study here, or to discuss your needs so that we can offer you maximum support.

Who do I contact for more information?

Contact Dr Susie Forsyth, the Royal Conservatoire’s Disability Advisor, at  to arrange a visit. You can download our Information for Disabled Students and Applicants, which describes our provision and support for disabled students.

How do I request support for my audition or interview?

Contact Dr Susie Forsyth, the Royal Conservatoire’s Disability Advisor, on to discuss any adjustments that you would like for your audition or interview.

What happens when I start my studies at the Royal Conservatoire?

When you start at the Royal Conservatoire, our Disability Advisor will contact you in the first term and arrange a meeting with you to discuss how we can best  support you. A Learning Agreement will then be discussed with you and adjustments sent to your tutors. If you are dyslexic, you will need an up-to-date assessment don’t worry if you don’t have one as we can arrange for an assessment with a psychologist.

I think I’m dyslexic but I’m not sure.

If you have always wondered if you might be dyslexic, but have never been assessed, we can arrange for you to have an assessment. Alternatively, you may have had a preliminary assessment at school, but do not have a full psychological assessment (a full assessment is necessary for applying for DSA see the next section below.) Contact the Disability Advisor to request an assessment.

What other support is available?

Susie can assist with completing applications to your funding body (Student Awards Agency for Scotland, Student Finance England, Wales or NI) for the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA). The DSA consists of equipment (e.g. a laptop, mind mapping software) and personal support (e.g. proof reading, mentor).

To apply for DSA you will need a full psychological assessment (for dyslexia) or a letter from your doctor or consultant, in the case of medical conditions. More information is available from the website of your funding body: SAAS, Student Finance England, Wales or Northern Ireland.

When you apply for DSA you will be referred for a needs assessment, where you will speak to an assessor in detail about your course and how your medical condition or disability affects you on your course of study. The assessor will then recommend equipment and personal support to be provided by your funding body. Please ask Susie if you have any questions about applying for DSA.

The Royal Conservatoire also has an Effective Learning Service (ELS) to support students in all aspects of their studies. The ELS tutors are available to discuss essay writing, revision for exams, research methods, structuring written assignments, among many other aspects of study support.

How accessible is the Royal Conservatoire?

The Royal Conservatoire has level access on the ground floor and a lift suitable for a wheelchair serves all floors. Many of the lecture theatres and auditoria have induction loops and vibrating pager fire alarms are available. The software packages Text help Read &Write and Inspiration have been installed in the IT suite. For more details on facilities, download the booklet Information for Disabled Students and Applicants