COVID-19: Update for our community (Sun 15 March)
From Principal Jeffrey Sharkey
The continued well-being of our student, staff and audience community is our top priority. Given the continued spread of the Covid-19 outbreak and in line with our colleagues across the Scottish Higher Education sector, the Senior Management Team has agreed that from tomorrow (Monday, March 16) here at RCS we will:
- Suspend all face-to-face teaching and plan to move to distance learning until further notice
- Suspend all performances, concerts and public events until further notice. This now includes off-site performances such as BA Acting performance of Kilter in London
- Discontinuing all UK travel on behalf of RCS
What this means
For students and teaching staff:
- Learning and teaching will continue and Heads of Department will be working with all colleagues and students to agree and share details of online and distance learning materials and programmes.
- RCS remains open and it is our intention to continue operating facilities such as the library and bookable individual practice rooms for solo practice until further notice. Limited hours may be in place. Please check the RCS website for updated details.
- Students can travel home if is safe for them to do so. We will provide notice at to when in-person learning and teaching will resume.
For Professional Services staff:
- HR is currently working with Directors and Heads of Department to assess and agree contingency working to ensure continuity for all support services. Further updates will be available soon. Normal work practices apply for now.
You will have had conversations with your managers about your own circumstances and you should check with them regarding any immediate steps you wish to take around home working arrangements. HR can also advise you.
For ticket holders
- From Monday March 16, all RCS performance and public events activity will be suspended until further notice.
- We will automatically refund tickets booked for RCS performances due to take place in March. Please contact the Box Office should you wish a refund now for any RCS performances scheduled to take place in April-June.
- If you would prefer your refund to be treated as a donation to RCS, please email or call the Box Office.
0141 332 5057
A further FAQ is being compiled and will be shared later today.
Please follow all health guidance and please stay at home if you show symptoms.
I appreciate this is an unprecedented and anxious time for everyone and it is important that we work together as a supporting and connected community taking care of each other and continuing to focus on learning and teaching in albeit different forms from those we are used to. I want to reassure all final year students that the final portion of their degree, even if delivered though alternative means, remains a valid and respected RCS degree.