Top Tips: Filming at Home
As artists, we are defined by our need to create, connect and communicate. This is what drives and motivates us and allows us to use art to make an impact on the world.
Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, we are no longer working together in the same studios, rehearsal rooms, concert stages”¦however our need to create and connect continues. We want to help you to share your work with the world and have put together some top tips for how to film your own recordings at home on your phone.
We hope this helps you continue to create and inspire others within the RCS online community. Please get in touch with us if you would like any help or advice, we are here to support our RCS family.
The Marketing and Communications Team
- Find a quiet space. Make sure there’s as little background noise as possible from household appliances or passing traffic.
- Get a steady shot. Use a tripod or an even surface to set up your camera.
- Frame. Frame your action in a way that’s pleasing to the eye, think about the composition of your shot, you can film in landscape or portrait, depending on what suits your video.
- Light. Somewhere bright with natural light is ideal.
- What’s behind you? Check the rest of your frame. The audience’s attention may wander if they see your laundry drying in the background.
- Format. Think about how long your video is going to be, what’s interesting about it? How long would you be prepared to watch if you happened across it on social media? Rehearse what you’re going to say, keep it light and friendly.
- Pets. They may be an important part of of your home office it’s fine if they wander into shot!
- Don’t zoom in. On most phones, you’ll lose quality.
- Communication. If there are other people in your house, let them know you’re filming. You could even pop a notice on your door to make sure you don’t have any unwanted cameo appearances. Unless you want to recreate this iconic TV moment.
Hopefully these tips will help you film some of your practice or work and keep in touch with the RCS community and the wider world. Send us your content and we’ll be happy to share on the RCS social media channels.