Keith Warner was Associate Director at ENO and Scottish Opera. Artistic Director of Opera Omaha, and Head of the Royal Danish Opera. He has directed more than one hundred and fifty operas, plays and musicals for over 60 companies, in 18 countries.He has written librettos to four operas with the composer David Blake.He directed twoRingcycles for The New National Theatre, Tokyo and at The Royal Opera House, London. AlsoLohengrinatthe Bayreuth Festival.His production ofWozzeck(ROH) won an Olivier Award.Also for the ROH: Rossi’s “Orpheus” at the Sam Wanamaker/Globe playhouse and “Otello”.
He has directed the world premieres of a new version of Penderecki’sThe Devils of Loudun(Copenhagen), Avner Dorman’sWahnfried(Karlsruhe), Hans Gefor’sNotorious(Göteborg Opera), and Christian Jost’s “Egmont” (Vienna). The UK premieres of André Tchaikowsky’sThe Merchant of Veniceand Richard Ayres’sPeter Pan(WNO).
Other work includes:
- André Chénier on the lake stage in Bregenz
- Ten productions at the Theater an der Wien
- A dozen productions at Oper Frankfurt
- A trio of Faust operas by Berlioz, Gounod and Busoni at the Semperoper Dresden
- Elektra (Prague, San Francisco and Karlsruhe)
- Sondheim’sPassion(Montepulciano) was named by The New York Times as one of the 4 best productions in Europe 2019
Plans include Meistersinger (Prague), Boris Goudonov” (Frankfurt), Tannhäuser (Tokyo), and Handel’s “Julius Caesar” (Vienna). He was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Music from the University of Bristol.